Sunday, September 13, 2009

Bethel Woods






Well, I came upon a child of God
He was walking along the road
And I asked him, Tell me, where are you going?
This he told me

Said, I'm going down to Yasgur's Farm,
Gonna join in a rock and roll band.
Got to get back to the land and set my soul free.

We are stardust, we are golden,
We are billion year old carbon,
And we got to get ourselves back to the garden.

'Woodstock', by Joni Mitchell

I made it to the Woodstock museum just a wee bit too late on Friday afternoon to make the museum, and due to forecast rain and wind, decided to forego camping for night 1 in favor of a motor inn and try again for Sat. morning.

The museum there is also a performing arts center with live acts from time to time. The museum itself is quite soul-stirring; not only due to the music event but the reviews of everything that was going on in the late sixties does a great job of setting up what happened and how the younger people were feeling. They offer a fantastic 20-minute film of the festival as well.

Check the schedule before you go - they are only open 4 days a week during the fall, I got lucky.

After, I went and sat in the middle of the field for a bit. Felt like rolling around in the grass naked. But then, I feel like doing that fairly often in any event.



Next: Letchworth State Park in Eastern NY, headed toward Canada.

No comments:

Post a Comment