Saturday, September 12, 2009

Hit the road, Jack


I awoke on the floor of my old apartment, where I had ‘camped’ for the last couple of nights after my return from Europe. It is raining and blustery outside. The Subaru is packed and in a bit I will mount the kayak and bike on the roof and drive west. After a fruitless encounter with the New York DMV, and a humid day in which every car horn in Brooklyn seemed to be blaring nonstop, rattling my spine and my soul, I am chomping at the bit to leave the Big Apple.

My general plan is westward through NY state, across the Northern Shore of Lake Superior, back down through the lake country of Northern Minnesota, through the Dakotas and Montana, back up into Canada toward the Rockies west of Calgary, and back down along the Oregon Shore to San Francisco.

My first stop today will be the site of the original 1969 Woodstock Festival, in Bethel Woods, NY.

No comments:

Post a Comment