Sunday, September 20, 2009

Pack in, Pack out

When you are primitive camping, one fact of life is that you are going to be carrying everything with you, unless you are gonna eat wild berries or hunt for food. And if you are camping for any length of time, you are going to experience a full cycle of the digestive system.

A basic precept of "Leave No Trace" camping mandates that you carry everything back out that you brought in. EVERYTHING. Pack it in, pack it out, they say.

Thus, I present here the baggy-doody technique. Baggy-doody is the act. Doody-baggy is the device. I suggest gallon size ziplock bags for the novice. Grab each corner, one in front, the other in back (I go with the right hand in back, but do what feels comfortable), and bombs away.

Plus, if it's cold out, the end product makes for a nifty hand warmer, at least for a few minutes.

I opted for double-zippered bags with fresh seal on this trip.

Hopefully this is clear - please let me know if you need photos and I'll see what I can doo.

(sorry for the pun)

No comments:

Post a Comment